As an Oxfordshire charity, a limited number of you can get FREE help with presentation skills, audience engagement, story-writing and making an impact. Robert Bullard is a communications expert. He has 10+ years media experience, is an author and trainer on writing skills, and has written widely for national newspapers/magazines. He also trains for OCVA in Copywriting and Report Writing. As part of his support for the sector, he offers FREE help for local charities
Here are 5 ways to add weight to your words:
1. Particular words have weight and impact, and they may have a positive or negative sway (‘turbo charge’, ‘risks’ and ‘failed’, for example).
2. Body language matters. Hand gestures can add weight and impact, but don’t over-do them or look lacklustre.
3. Analogies can help explain things. May’s deal with the EU was described as like ‘serving up cold porridge’ again and again (a nice touch); and an extension to Article 50 as like a bit of ‘extra time’ in football (easy for people to understand).
4. Get the audience’s buy-in by showing you understand what they are talking about – use case studies or draw on your experience (‘I’ve been there, done that’). Also, address them by their names, but don’t get them wrong!
5. Pace, pause and projection – Draw on these three Ps to your voice. They can win you audience attention, and add weight and conviction to your message.
We hope you find these tips useful! You can also gain access to a reduced price course at OCVA on 23 July (10–12.30pm) to help improve your presentations and an increased awareness of how to effectively engage with your audience.